Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Some Updates

I apologize for not blogging more lately but we have had a pretty busy week with Isabelle being sick again!! She woke up last Friday (December 1st) with a fever of 39.4 degrees celcius and no other symptoms. It was really quite strange. She seemed to get better on Saturday during the day but her fever jumped up again in the evening just before bedtime. This is where things got a little scary...

She went to bed at about 6pm (2 hrs before her regular bedtime) and woke up crying at around 7:30pm. I went to her room to check on her and she was really quite hot, so I got a cool cloth for her forehead and gave her a dose of Tylenol. She seemed to go back to sleep in my arms so I lay her back down in her crib and left the room. At about 8pm, I heard a strange rhythmic whimpering coming through the baby monitor so I ran to her room to check on her and although it was pretty dark in her room, I could tell that something wasn't right. I yelled for Andrew to let him know that she was having a seizure and turned on the light. Her little hands were clenched into fists, her face had a completely blank stare, and she was twitching rhythmically. Her whimpering was coming from her trying to breathe while she was having this seizure. Fortunately, Andrew had been reading the BC Health Guide earlier that day about fever seizures and what to do in the event of one. She quickly started turning blue as she wasn't getting enough air and she seemed like she had stopped breathing. I ran to the phone to call the ambulance and in the time that I was on the phone, she coughed something up and started breathing again. She was completely in a daze and was breathing quite shallow so when the paramedics arrived, they took us to the hospital. It felt like an eternity when she stopped breathing but I'm sure it was about 20-25 seconds (that's long enough).

Let me just say that I tried to stay calm on the phone while talking to the 911 dispatcher but inside I was a complete mess and my heart was just in a state of panic. I don't know what I sounded like to him but I remember getting all the information out clearly while I had tears streaming down my face. Andrew also says that he was completely panicking inside but I've never seen him so calm. He was absolutely amazing!!

When we arrived at the hospital, they ran some tests to find the source of the fever but couldn't find anything serious so they concluded that it was some sort of virus that was causing it. They continued to tell us about the febrile seizure that she had and that her likelihood of it happening again with future fevers were quite high.

Today is day 5 and her fever is now gone and to our surprise, she has broken out in a rash today indicating the possibility that she had Roseola. Again?? The last time she had a fever, she had a rash as well at the end and I thought that was it. I did a little research and it seems it is possible to get Roseola twice, although extremely rare. Who knows, I'm just glad it is all over. I'm happy to say that Isabelle is just fine...clingy to me, but just fine. Thanks to Isabelle's Auntie Hiroko for being here for support.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrifying! We are so glad to hear that Isabelle is alright. We'll be thinking of you.

Darren, Liz and George

12/07/2006 1:53 p.m.  
Blogger Ellen said...

Oh my goodness!! I am soooo happy to hear that Isabelle is feeling better. I am sure you are a bit clingy with her too. How scary!!

Ellen

12/07/2006 3:39 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that Isabelle is on the mend.

My nephew had a high fever recently which was followed by a seizure. Luckily, the doctors all informed my sister that febrile seizures are actually quite common in children younger than the age of 3.

Hopefully you'll never have to see Isabelle go through such an ordeal again.

Our thoughts are with you.

--Graham, Vivian and Sarah

12/07/2006 10:48 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, lady Momoko
I'm glad you're so beautiful. I'm looking to seeing you soon. and Happy Birthday Noriko
Tsunko no occhan

12/17/2006 3:35 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home